Inconsiderate / Illegal parking 


Cornwall Council have a detailed webpage outlining information on illegal parking, parking on the street, parking in a council car park, pavement parking and enforcement; please see here – Parking fines and enforcement – Cornwall Council 

Cornwall Council Civil Parking Enforcement team can take action where vehicles are parked on the pavement where there is an underlying yellow line restriction, as in most cases the yellow line will also cover the pavement, although this would not be the case for any type of parking bay. 

In terms of vehicles causing obstruction, this is an offence and one in which only the Police have powers to deal with as Civil Parking Enforcement can only deal with civil contraventions of the parking restrictions.

Ideas for you

An abandoned vehicle is one which has not been moved or attended to for a long time. There may be visible damage to suggest a crash or signs the vehicle has been stolen, such as: 

Abandoned vehicles can cause a nuisance by obstructing roads, traffic and pedestrians. The sight of a damaged or slowly rusting car can also be an eyesore in your community, so it’s understandable you might want it to be removed.

If you know the vehicle owner, our first advice would be to ask them politely to move it. After all, they may not be aware they’re causing a problem. 

However, do not take the law into your own hands by intervening, such as making physical threats or attempting to move the vehicle yourself. You may make the situation worse and even risk committing an offence yourself.

If a parking space is available on a public road, even if it’s directly outside your house, anyone is allowed to park in it. We appreciate this can be frustrating, especially if spaces are hard to come by on your street.

If someone has parked in your designated parking space without your permission, our first advice is always to try and resolve the issue peacefully yourself. If you can’t find the driver to speak to them, try leaving a polite note on their windscreen. 

If you lease a property with a parking space, please contact whoever is responsible for your building, such as the freeholder, council or managing agent.   If the issue continues, you can report it as antisocial behaviour.

If someone parks their vehicle on your driveway without your permission, this is trespassing. This is a civil dispute and not something the police can help you with. If it happens repeatedly with the same person / vehicle you might want to seek advice from Citizens Advice or a solicitor, but we would always recommend having a polite word with the driver first, as there may have been a simple misunderstanding.

If someone has blocked your driveway so you can’t drive in we appreciate this can be very frustrating. 

If you can find the owner of the vehicle, we’d first recommend asking them politely to move it. If you can’t find them, try leaving a note on their windscreen. After all, they may not realise they have caused a problem. 

If a person has blocked your driveway and is preventing you from getting your own vehicle out the Police may be able to help. You can report this as antisocial behaviourhere

If the vehicle is parked on zig zag lines, dangerously or in a way that would prevent emergency vehicles from accessing you can report this to the policehere

If the vehicle is parked over a dropped kerb, on a pedestrian crossing (including the area marked by the zig-zag lines), in spaces reserved for Blue Badge holders, residents or motorbikes (unless entitled to do so), in marked taxi bays, cycle lanes or red lines or near a school entrance, bus or tram stop please report it to the council. here