Harbour Housing offers a safe space for older women in Cornwall

10 March 2023

Harbour Housing, one of our commissioned providers of safe accommodation, have taken the initiative to create a space specifically for women over-55 with low to medium support needs.

This is part of their specialist EVA (Empowered, Valued, Aware) project for women escaping domestic abuse and sexual violence. 

The often busy environment in refuges with families and young children is rarely suitable for people later in life so this is a positive step forward in extending provision for older people affected by domestic abuse.

Safer Cornwall is committed to ensuring support is available to everyone who needs access to safe accommodation when fleeing domestic abuse. However, our work to date with Age UK and The Women’s Centre Cornwall shows that very few older people experiencing domestic abuse and sexual violence (DASV) in Cornwall and Isles of Scilly are accessing relevant services and this includes refuges and safe accommodation.

In fact, a high number of people aged 60+ are affected by domestic abuse, sexual abuse and / or sexual violence and there are a multitude of factors as to why they are not accessing the support that they need. This is being addressed in the next stage of our pilot to increase access and provision for older people.

This two-bedroom property was already owned by Harbour Housing, having been purchased recently with a view to providing accommodation for key workers. However, there was low demand for this and on hearing about the older people’s project with Age UK, they saw there was an opportunity to start providing accommodation for older people leaving abusive relationships or environments.

The property includes disabled access and toilet, shared kitchen and lounge areas,  and allows people staying there to take pets.

If you need to leave your home

Safer Futures can support you to access safe accommodation. Call 0300 777 4777 or email [email protected]

Alternatively you can self-refer to: 

You can also apply for homelessness assistance through the Housing Options service who have a duty to provide emergency accommodation if it is unsafe or unreasonable for you to remain in your home.   

Share this post